Beauty, music, bellydance, the Dark Goddess, Nature, magick, ritual-theatre, death and love.

compendium of Aepril's communications on art, beauty, bellydance, the dark, faery tale, nature, magick, ritual, theatre, death and love. The talk of a priestess and shaman of the Dark Goddess.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Prayer of St Francis, Patron saint of animals, nature, and the environment

I was reminded of The Prayer of St Francis as Mike and I stood by a statue of St Francis last night. It was a beautiful summer night, and our thoughts, as they often do, turned to Coda. Standing next to the Protector of animals and nature, my thoughts also turned to the animal sanctuary I hope to create someday.

The Prayer of St Francis was a consolation to me when Coda died almost 3 years ago. (St Francis's wolf died of old age, too.)

It is also a reminder to me that no matter how despairing I may feel about the health of the planet and cruelty toward animals (so-called "domestic and wild), it is my internal peace and the quality of my own heart and thoughts that will bring healing magick into the world. Staying centered in a loving heart best equips me to help and heal. I WILL be able to give more creatures a place to call home. Coda will help guide me, as will St Francis.




 Prayer of St Francis
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing. St. Francis has a special place in my heart as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was introduced to the prayer of St Francis just this year. And like yourself, i am concerned for the welfare of the animals on this planet. Thank you reminding me to be centred before i attempt to save the animals? As i can churn myself into pieces wondering if i can ever make a difference? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marlene--just your love does so much. Just that you care and speak up. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some people may think that this prayer is self-martyring. But I don't think so! I think forgoveness and cultivating love are the greatest gifts we can give OURSELVES. And it prevents burn-out.

    ReplyDelete